Way back in 2009 I posted a recipe for egg salad and for the last five years I haven’t really changed much about it. I still love it, but I wanted an alternative recipe that doesn’t require a 1/2 cup of mayo since I’m trying to be a little more conscious about what I’m eating (which, by the way, is a hard thing to do when you love to cook and eat like I do!). This new version has avocado (hello, healthy fat!), which replaces almost all of the mayo. Of course, I couldn’t go completely cold-turkey so there’s still a 1/2 tablespoon of the stuff – just enough to help bring the lemon-chive dressing together. Thanks to the avocado this egg salad is still rich and creamy so I don’t even miss the mayo. I like serving it on toasted bread with some lettuce and tomato – it’s delicious!
Avocado replaces almost all the mayo in this easy and delicious egg salad!
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 avocado, pit and skin removed
- 1/2 tablespoon mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, mash the eggs and avocado together using a potato masher
- In a separate small bowl, combine the mayo, Dijon mustard, fresh lemon juice, chives and salt
- Stir the dressing into the avocado and egg mixture until well combined
- Serve 1/2 cup of salad on toasted bread with tomato slices and lettuce