Need a quick and tasty dinner idea? This baked tortellini fits the bill – fresh tortellini pasta gets baked up in a hearty sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese – 20ish minutes in the oven and it’s ready to go. It’s perfect for busy days when there’s little time to think about dinner.
In my house there is one convenience product that ranks first on my list of go-to ingredients to help get dinner on the table fast and that’s a packet of fresh pasta. You know, the ones in the refrigerator case near the produce section? It’s a guarantee that at least one or two packets end up in my cart every time I grocery shop and for good reason – a packet of fresh pasta is the answer on those nights when getting dinner on the table seems impossible.
I’ve made this baked tortellini several times in the last few weeks and love it – it takes no time at all, but looks and tastes like it took much longer to make. I’ve switched it up a little each time, but I really like this version with ground turkey. It’s hearty and filling, but you could easily leave out the ground meat and just make it with your favorite tomato sauce.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- I use fresh cheese tortellini because I don’t have to boil it beforehand. It goes right in the oven as is and comes out perfectly cooked.
- If you want to lighten the calories ground turkey is a good choice, but I’ve also made this with ground beef and it’s delicious. Or, if you’re really short on time, skip the meat and just bake up the tortellini with the sauce. No pre-cooking required!
- Use your favorite jarred tomato sauce or make your own from scratch if you’re feeling adventurous.
- Spinach adds some color and healthy good stuff, but it’s totally optional.
- Cheese! And plenty of it.
The links listed below are affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you anything additional.
A warm and hearty dish perfect for busy weeknights!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Category: Main Course
- 9 ounce package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 generous handful of spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat
- Add the ground turkey, breaking it up with a spatula or wooden spoon
- Add the minced garlic and Italian seasoning to the turkey
- Cook until the ground turkey is done, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the sauce to the ground turkey and stir to combine
- Add in the spinach, stirring until it starts to wilt
- Turn of the heat and add the uncooked tortellini to the sauce and stir to combine
- Pour the pasta and sauce into a baking dish
- Top with the mozzerella and Parmesan cheeses
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted
- Let stand a few minutes before serving
This recipe call for ground turkey, but you could easily substitute ground beef. To make it even easier, skip the meat and just combine the tortellini in the baking dish with sauce and the spinach and bake.