15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon basil
- Garlic, either 1 whole head roasted or 2-3 fresh cloves, minced
- salt, couple of pinches
- fresh ground black pepper, 5-6 turns of the mill
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups favorite tomato sauce
- In a large bowl combine the first 6 ingredients, plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once combined add in the ground turkey and mix together.
- In a large pan heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. While the pan is preheating quickly form golf ball sized meatballs. Add the meatballs to the pan. Depending on the size of your pan you may need to do this in batches. You want the meatballs to have some space so they brown properly. I used a 5 quart saute pan.
- Give the meatballs a chance to brown all over by periodically rolling them around. You may need to adjust the heat up or down. Once browned, lower the heat to medium and add in the tomato sauce. Gently stir the meatballs around so they get coated with the sauce. You want the sauce to simmer, so adjust the heat to medium or medium low. Allow the meatballs to simmer in the sauce for at least another 10 minutes.
- -3 meatballs is a good serving size. They freeze well if you don't need all 18 meatballs (which is about 6-9 servings) for your dinner. I just popped mine into a freezer bag, laid it out flat so all the meatballs were in a single layer, and place them in the freezer.
- Makes 18 golf ball sized meatballs.