This is how I like to start the day. A simple piece of toast topped with creamy avocado, fresh herbs, and a sunny-side-up egg. This recipe calls for chopped parsley and dill, but fresh basil, chives, cilantro, or a combination of any of them will work well, too.
- 1 slice bread
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches of salt divided
- 2 pinches of black pepper, divided
- Pop the toast in the toaster. While the bread toasts cook the egg by first melting the butter over low heat in a small (8-inch) non-stick skillet. Once the butter is melted, crack the egg into the skillet and cover the skillet with a lid. Cook the egg until the white is opaque and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the egg cooks, prep the avocado. Slice the avocado in half by inserting your knife into it until you reach the pit. Run your knife around the avocado and then twist the avocado to break it in half. Remove the pit (the safest way is to run a spoon around it to loosen it). Slice the avocado, while it’s still in its skin, into thin slices. Use a spoon to scoop out the slices and place them on the toast. Wrap the other half of the avocado in plastic wrap. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to a day.
- Spread the avocado slices on the toast. Sprinkle the parsley, dill, red pepper flakes, 1 pinch of salt and 1 pinch of pepper over the top. Top the avocado with the cooked egg and season it with another pinch of salt and pepper.
Nutrition estimates may vary depending on the kind of bread you use. I used one slice of whole-grain bread, which is included in the estimates.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 345
- Fat: 22.7g
- Carbohydrates: 24.1g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Protein: 13.2g
Keywords: avocado toast, sunny side up egg