This easy one-pan baked sausage with peppers is quick to prep and smells amazing as it simmers in the oven. Use your favorite store-bought marinara sauce to make it really easy. Serve it over rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausages
- 4 large bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 2 cups store-bought marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof pan over medium heat. Place the sausages in the pan and brown them on both sides, about five minutes per side. Once browned, remove them from the pan.
- Add the peppers, onions, marinara sauce, and balsamic to the pan. Stir to combine. Place the sausages back in the pan on top of the sauce and vegetables.
- Turn off the heat and cover the loosely with foil. Transfer it to the oven and bake the sausages for 30 to 40 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and stir the vegetables with the sauce. Place the sausages back in the pan, sprinkle the parsley and cheese over the top and serve.
The sausage should be cooked to an internal temperture of at least 160°F. Depending on your oven you may need more or less time for them to bake.
The leftvovers keep really well! Just store them an in an airtight container and they will keep for up to three days or so.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 548
- Sugar: 14.8g
- Sodium: 1414.4mg
- Fat: 41.6g
- Saturated Fat: 13.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 25.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.2g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 19.7g
- Cholesterol: 88.8mg
Keywords: baked sausage, Italian sausage and peppers