Beef pot pie is a perfect cold-weather dinner. Beef chuck, mushrooms, carrots, and peas are combined in a thick savory gravy. It’s topped with a golden crust for a seriously comforting meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound beef chuck, cubed and seasoned all over with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 large carrots, cut into thick coins
- Leaves from 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 16 ounces beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 premade 9″ pie crust (allow to come to room temperature)
- In a stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Brown the beef on both sides, for about 3-4 minutes each. Once the beef is nicely browned, but not cooked through, go ahead and remove it from the pot to a plate or bowl.
- In the same pan melt the butter and then add the sliced mushrooms. Stir them around until they start to brown. Next, add the onion, celery, and garlic.
- Stir frequently until the vegetables start to soften. Add the flour and stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and deglaze the pan by scraping up all the browned bits off the bottom using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add the carrots, fresh thyme, and fresh parsley. Add the browned beef into the pot, including all of the juices collected on the plate or bowl.
- Pour in the beef stock, and Worcestershire sauce. Give it all a good stir and then bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and let it all cook together for at least 40-45 minutes or until the sauce has started to thicken (the longer you let it go the thicker the filling will be).
- Note- if you are baking to serve this meal right away, take out the pie crust and allow it to come to room temperature while the mixture is simmering.
- Once the filling has thickened, if you are baking this to serve right away, add the peas and the cream.
- Preheat the oven to 400°f. Pour the filling into a 9-inch pie dish that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll out a refrigerated pre-made 9-inch pie crust. Using a rolling pin, smooth the pie crust out so there is at least 1-2 inches additional crust over the rim of the pie plate.
- Transfer the pie crust and place it on top of the filling. Fold in the extra crust around the edge. Crimp the edges of the pie crust with a pinch or a fork depending on your preference.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet lined with tin foil or parchment paper as the pie might drip during baking.
- Bake the pot pie at 400 degrees until the pie is browned on top, about 35-45 minutes. Let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 403
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 461.8mg
- Fat: 19.6g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 20.7g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
Keywords: beef pot pie