Although you can mix and serve this drink right away, I find giving the tomato mix time to chill in the refrigerator deepens the flavor. Making it up to a day in advance, along with the garnish, also makes life easier so when it’s time for brunch all you have to do is add the vodka, salt the glasses, and serve.
For the Drink Mix:
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3–4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 2 dashes of hot sauce (or more, to taste)
- 1 medium basil leaf, finely chopped
- 4 ounces premium vodka (recommended brand: Finlandia)
- Lemon wedges, (for the glasses)
- Kosher salt (for the glasses)
For the Garnish
- 4 (4-inch) thin wooden skewers
- 4 garlic stuffed olives
- 8 ciliegine mozzarella balls (see note)
- 1 ½ ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 ounces hard salami, cubed
- 4 thin ribs of celery, trimmed to fit the height of the glass
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, trimmed to fit the height of the glass.
- Make the mix: Stir together the first 6 drink mix ingredients in a large (2-cup) measuring cup or similar container until combined. If making ahead, cover the container and place it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Make the garnishes: Thread one olive, 2 mozzarella balls, a cube of salami, and some prosciutto onto each skewer. If making ahead, place them on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Make the drink: Moisten the rim of each glass with a lemon wedge. Salt each rim with kosher salt. Add about ¼ cup of ice cubes to each glass. Pour 1 ounce of vodka over the ice and then top with the tomato mix. Stir to combine.
- To serve: Place the garnish skewer on the rim of each glass. Place one rib of celery and a sprig of parsley in each glass.
Ciliegine mozzarella balls are little balls of cheese that are easy to skewer. Look for them in the deli section of the grocery store near the specialty cheeses. If you can’t find them, you can use a regular-sized ball of mozzarella and cut it into small cubes. Nutrition estimate is for the drink only and does not include the garnish.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 5 ounces
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 77.2mg
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 3.6g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: bloody mary recipe, bloody mary garnish