Learn how to make your own custom savory breakfast hash – it’s a great way to use up ingredients you already have on hand!
I love using last night’s dinner to make this morning’s breakfast.
Take, for example, this breakfast hash. After a celebratory dinner Saturday night at Il Palio in Chapel Hill – which is a great place, by the way – I woke up Sunday and tossed together a quick hash using the leftover braised beef that I brought home from the restaurant. I love, love, love a savory breakfast.
How to Make a Breakfast Hash
You don’t need a recipe for hash – you only need to understand what goes in a hash to make it great.
- First, you need fat – I used barely a 1/4 cup of finely diced pancetta and a generous tablespoon of butter.
- Next, you need some onion (or shallots) – my braised beef already had some roasted onion in it, so I skipped this part. Just finely dice or slice the onion and toss it in the pan with the pancetta and butter.
- After the onion has softened add in some garlic if that’s your thing (garlic is always my thing).
- Next, add some veggies – the cook time depends on what you’re using. If you use several different vegetables cook the ones that will take the longest first and then add the others as you go. For me, I just used some fresh brussels sprouts. I cut them into equal sizes and let them cook with the onions and pancetta for about 10 minutes.
- After you’ve added your veggies go ahead and add in something starchy, like potatoes. I had some roasted ones on hand so just tossed those in with everything.
- Finally, I added the leftover braised beef – at this point there was quite a bit of nicely browned bits on the bottom of the pan so I added a couple tablespoons of water just to help deglaze the pan a bit.
- Once the beef was warmed through I lowered the heat and made two wells in the hash and cracked two eggs. I covered the pan while the eggs cooked, removing the pan from the heat once the egg whites were set.
And, there you have it – braised beef breakfast hash…
This hash is just what my mom and I needed for the start of our stressful day getting pedicures and leg massages. I know, it’s a tough life. Oh, and what was all the celebration about? We bought a new car (which is exciting and scary at the same time), plus yours truly was featured this weekend on Buzzfeed for the first time (Thank you, Buzzfeed!) – check out 31 of the Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Eggs for more delicious egg recipes!