A simple carrot soup made with fresh vegetables and a hint a cilantro and lime. It’s great as a light starter for a meal, or alongside a salad or sandwich for lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 pound carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1–2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup shaved or grated parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Saute the onion and celery until they start to soften, about five minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook it all another few minutes. Add 5 cups of water and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer the vegetables for 30 minutes.
- Add the cilantro. Using a stick blender, puree the vegetables until the soup is smooth. Season with salt (start with 1 teaspoon and add more to taste) and black pepper. Just before serving, add the lime juice. Top each serving with the cheese.
- Category: Soups & Stews