The base of supreme sauce is a simple veloute sauce, which you can make ahead for this recipe (the recipe is linked in the ingredients). Once you have it on hand, this chicken supreme is easy to make. The sauce is so creamy and pairs perfectly with the chicken and mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper on both sides
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 cup veloute sauce
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- In a large pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt the 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the mushroom slices and cook them on each side until they are nicely browned. Remove the mushrooms and set them aside.
- Add the veloute sauce to the pan the mushrooms were in, scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits. Bring to a simmer before adding the cream. Whisk together and simmer until the sauce thickens. stir in the herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper (a few pinches of each).
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and let it rest for a minute before slicing it.
- Arrange the chicken and mushrooms on each plate and top with the sauce. Squeeze a small amount of lemon juice over the top of each. Serve immediately.
If you use frozen veloute be sure to thaw it before using. If needed, you can loosen the sauce with some additional chicken stock once you add it to the pan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 451
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Sodium: 317.8mg
- Fat: 28.7g
- Saturated Fat: 14.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 33.2g
- Cholesterol: 143.1mg
Keywords: chicken supreme, chicken and mushrooms