This easy chicken egg roll soup garnished with wonton crispies is inspired by a favorite take-out appetizer. It’s everything you love about egg rolls served up cozy soup-style.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided (see note)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups coleslaw mix (see note)
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Crispy wonton strips
- Sliced green onions
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook it in the oil on both sides until it’s almost cooked through, about ten minutes depending on the size of your chicken thighs. Take the thighs out of the pan and set them aside.
- Add the garlic, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes to the pan. If there is a lot of browned bits on the bottom of the pan, add about 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. As it simmers, scrape up all of the browned bits. Cook the garlic and spices for a minute or so.
- Add the coleslaw, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the ginger paste and stir everything together. Add the chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil. While the soup comes to a boil, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to the soup.
- Once the soup is boiling, lower the heat to maintain a simmer and simmer the soup for 10 to 15 minutes. In the last few minutes add the vinegar and pepper. Garnish each serving with the onions and wonton strips.
Depending on the kind of chicken broth you use you may need to adjust the salt in the recipe. If you aren’t sure, just wait to season the soup until it’s done – you can always give it a taste at the end and add more salt, if needed.
I buy the bagged coleslaw mix that his green and purple cabbage and carrots, but you can use all cabbage if that’s all you can find.
The nutrition estimate doesn’t include the garnishes. The wonton strips nutrition will vary depending on the brand you use.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 2157.4mg
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 36.8g
- Cholesterol: 167.4mg
Keywords: chicken eggroll soup, chicken soup