Chicken enchiladas topped with a flavorful salsa verde, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream and red onion. The salsa and chicken cook in the slow cooker until the chicken breasts are falling-apart tender and once the enchiladas are assembled you can bake them right away or keep them in the refrigerator for up to a day.
For the Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound tomatillos, papery husks removed, rinsed, and quartered
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large poblano pepper (about 5–6 ounces), seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Diced red onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream (see note)
- Drizzle the olive oil in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, poblano pepper, garlic, and salt in an even layer in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the chicken in an even layer on top. Cover and cook on low for three to four hours or until the chicken easily shreds with a fork.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Add the cilantro leaves and lime juice to the slow cooker and, using an immersion blender, puree the salsa until smooth. If the salsa is too thick, thin it with some chicken stock or water. Ladle a cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Divide the chicken between the flour tortillas, roll them up, and place them in the baking dish. Pour the salsa over the top of the tortillas. Top with the shredded cheese. At this point, you can cover and keep the enchiladas in the refrigerator for up to a day before baking.
- To bake, cover the baking dish with tin foil. Bake the enchiladas at 350 degrees for thirty minutes, or until they are bubbly hot. If you are baking them cold, you may need to add ten minutes to the bake time.
- While the enchiladas are baking make the sour cream sauce by combining the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and salt in a small bowl. To serve, drizzle the sour cream sauce over the top of the enchiladas and garnish with diced red onion and chopped cilantro.
Sometimes I get fancy and make a cilantro-lime sour cream sauce. Just combine 1/4 cup of sour cream, the juice of 1 lime, 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro, and a pinch of kosher salt. Drizzle over the enchiladas.
Make-ahead tip: You can make and assemble the enchiladas up to a day in advance and keep them in the refrigerator. Since they’ll go in the oven cold, you may need to add some extra baking time.
The nutrition estimate does not include the optional garnishes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
- Serving Size: 1 enchilada
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 878.7mg
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 25.1g
- Cholesterol: 66.6mg
Keywords: slow cooker salsa chicken, chicken enchiladas recipe, salsa verde chicken enchiladas