Thin sliced chicken breasts rolled up with cheese and topped with seasoned breadcrumbs. It’s a fun way to do chicken parmesan!
For the Chicken
- 1 cup jarred marinara sauce
- 1.5 pounds thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
For the Breadcrumb Topping
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread the marinara sauce in the bottom of a square baking dish (8″ to 10″ will work fine).
- To prepare the chicken: cover the chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound them until they are 1/4” thick. The number of pieces you have in your package may vary (mine usually have four) so you may need to cut the large pieces in half so you have six total. When you’re done, you should have six pieces that are large enough to roll up.
- Season one side of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Place the grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese in the center of the chicken. Don’t spread it out too far to the edges – leave a space around the edge. Carefully roll-up each piece of chicken so the cheese stays inside. Place the chicken rolls seam-side-down in the pan with the sauce and sprinkle another 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper over the top.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake the chicken for 30 minutes. While the chicken bakes, mix all of the ingredients for the topping in a small bowl. The mixture should look like damp sand once you’ve mixed in the oil.
- After 30 minutes, take the chicken out of the oven and remove the foil. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top of each chicken roll, lightly pressing it so it adheres. I really like to pile it on – if any falls off it will help thicken the sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Place the dish back in the oven, uncovered, and bake the chicken for 10 more minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden and crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
- To serve, you can spoon the sauce over the chicken or spoon it on the plate and place the chicken on top of it.
You can also use regular chicken breasts for this recipe, it just takes longer to pound them. You can use three large ones, pound them thin and them halve them to make six roll-ups.
Every oven is different, so the best way to know if your chicken is done is to check the internal temperature. It should read 165°F.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 chicken roll-up
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 843.4mg
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 28.4g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
Keywords: easy chicken parmesan, chicken roll-ups recipe