“Chicken tinga is originally from the state of Puebla, but this recipe is for the version that is the most popular throughout all of Mexico. I love to eat this tinga as a topping for corn tostadas, but it can also be used as a taco filling, as well as a high you can serve with a side of rice and a salad. It is also a popular stuffing for fried corn empanadas and a topping for sopes.” – Mely Martinez, author of The Mexican Home Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Garnishing and to Serve
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Corn tostadas
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, then stir in the garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomato and parsley, reduce the heat, stir, and cook until the tomatoes start releasing their juices, 6 to 7 minutes. If your tomatoes aren’t juicy enough, add a couple tablespoons of water. Add the chicken and chipotle peppers. Simmer for about 8 more minutes, until all the flavors have blended together. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve with the tostadas (if using).
- You can use store-bought rotisserie chicken to prepare this dish. You can also prepare tinga with pork and beef.
- Adjust the amount of chipotle peppers you use depending on how spicy you want the tinga to be.
- If you have leftovers, they can be stored in the freezer for about a month.
- If you can’t find decent tomatoes, 2 (15-ounce) cans of diced tomatoes work great as a substitute!
The recipe has been reprinted with permission from the author.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 335.9mg
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 52.5mg
Keywords: chicken tinga, Mexican chicken recipe, tinga de pollo