Warm and cozy chicken tortilla soup with black beans, corn, and bell pepper. Topped with an avocado, cheese, and sour cream garnish this soup is a delicious Sunday project that keeps on giving throughout the week.
For the Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (1 pound) bone in skin on chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 (14.5 ounce) canned diced tomatoes with the juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 (32-ounce) box chicken stock
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained
- 6 small corn tortillas, sliced into ½ inch strips
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the Garnishes
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- cheddar cheese
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Place the chicken breast skin side down and cook it until it’s nicely browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the chicken breast from the pot and set it aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and corn to the pan. Cook the vegetables for about five minutes, scraping up the browned bits off the bottom of the pan while stirring. Add the taco seasoning and stir until the vegetables are coated in the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro and chicken stock and stir. Carefully place the chicken breast in the soup. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the black beans and simmer the soup with the chicken for twenty minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Uncover the soup and remove the chicken. Discard the skin, shred the meat, and return it back to the soup. Add the tortilla strips to the soup and let it all simmer for another couple of minutes. At this point, check the seasoning and add additional salt as needed.
- To serve: Top each bowl with a tablespoon each of the grated cheddar cheese and sour cream. Top each with a few slices of avocado and sprinkle a little cilantro over the top.
This soup will keep well in the refridgerator for three to four days or in the freezer for up to three months. If making it ahead hold off on the garnishes until you are ready to serve it.
The nutrition estimate does not include the garnishes. Also, depending on the type of chicken stock you use the salt content will vary.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 451
- Sugar: 11.7g
- Sodium: 1221.2mg
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 62.8g
- Fiber: 13.2g
- Protein: 26.1g
- Cholesterol: 34.6mg
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, chicken and black bean soup