This soup is easy to pull together and takes only 30 minutes from start to finish. Don’t skip the Parmesan crostini – they make it really easy to scoop up every last drop of the warm and cozy soup.
For the Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups tomato puree (store bought or homemade)
- 2 cups water
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Extra grated Parmesan, for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
For the Parmesan Crostini
- 8 slices crusty french baguette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Make the Soup
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and let cook them for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add in the smoked paprika and ground cumin and stir it all around until the onion is well coated. Add the chickpeas, tomato puree, and water. Bring the pot to a boil and then lower the heat until it’s just simmering. Simmer the soup for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the soup simmers, add the spinach, salt, and pepper. Stir the soup and once the spinach has wilted down, puree the soup.
Make the Parmesan
- You can make the crostini while the soup is simmering or when it’s done – just keep it warm on the stove.
- Brush each slice of bread with the olive oil and place them in an even layer on a baking sheet. Top each slice with about 1 tablespoon of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler in the oven for just a few minutes. Don’t take your eyes off of the bread – the cheese will melt quickly and you want them a nice golden brown, which won’t take long at all. Once toasted and golden, remove them from the oven.
- To serve the soup: Garnish each bowl with grated parm and chopped parsely (if using) and float a crostini on top. Serve the rest of the crostini on the side.
The nutrition estimate is for the soup only and does not include the garnishes or the Parmesan crostini.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 424
- Sugar: 15.6g
- Sodium: 1101.9mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64.5g
- Fiber: 17.4g
- Protein: 18.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chickpea soup, homemade parmesan crostini