This easy ground beef chili is hearty and comforting. It’s made with beef, two kinds of beans, veggies, and spices. Top it with all your favorite garnishes like cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions for a cozy cold-weather dinner!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I use red, but choose your favorite color!)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of one lime
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef and cook it until it’s no longer pink. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook them with the beef for five minutes.
- Add the chili powder, enchilada sauce, and garlic powder and stir to combine. Add everything else (except for the lime juice), give it all a good stir. Increase the heat and once it starts to bubble, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer the chili.
- I usually simmer it for at least two hours so it can reduce and thicken. Sometimes I add up to half a cup more of water if it thickens too fast, but this is optional.
- Just before you serve it, add the lime juice and stir. Serve the chili with all of your favorite toppings.
Make-ahead tip: I think the chili tastes even better the day after it’s made. It will keep well in the refrigerator for three to four days. Or, you can freeze it for several months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 921.6mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11.6g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 38.3g
- Fiber: 12.5g
- Protein: 31.9g
- Cholesterol: 77.1mg
Keywords: easy chili recipe, ground beef chili, beef and bean chili