This is a go-to brownie recipe when a sudden onset chocolate craving hits. It’s an easy one-bowl recipe that takes 30 minutes start to finish.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (see note)
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus a handful extra
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the butter with the sugar in a large bowl. Add the egg, coffee and vanilla and stir again to combine.
- Add the cocoa powder and baking soda and stir until combined. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Spread the batter evenly in the baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait to slice the brownies until they are fully cooled and set. Dust with powdered sugar, if using.
When you measure the flour, use the spoon and level method. I like to stir the flour in the package first to loosen it up and then lightly spoon it into the measuring cup. Level it off with a dinner knife.
You can double the recipe for thicker brownies, but they will need 30 to 40 minutes to bake.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 16.2g
- Sodium: 8.5mg
- Fat: 10.6g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 35.8mg
Keywords: brownie recipe, chocolate chip brownies