This dough recipe, adapted from Martha Stewart, requires very little hands-on time and just an hour to rise. They’re lightly spiced with cinnamon and sugar and topped with a drizzle of a simple sugar glaze.
- 1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Pour 3/4 cup of warm water in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let it sit until it’s foamy, about five minutes or so. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup of melted butter and stir. Add the flour and stir until the dough comes together. It will be sticky.
- Butter the inside of another medium bowl. Transfer the dough to the buttered bowl and roll it around to lightly coat it in the butter. Cover it with a dish towel and place it in a warm area to rise. After about an hour it should be almost double it’s original size.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon or so of flour on the counter. Knead the dough 10-12 times (adding flour if it sticks) until it’s smooth. Roll the dough out in a rectangle, approximately 12 inches.
- Brush the dough with half of the remaining melted butter (a couple tablespoons). Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon over the top of the butter and brush to make an even layer. Starting at one end, gently roll the dough into a log. Slice the log in half, then in quarters, and finally in eighths.
- Place the rolls, cut side up, in a 9-inch cake pan. Brush the tops with the remaining melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the confectioner’s sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. Drizzle the glaze over the tops of the warm rolls and serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 12.2g
- Sodium: 7.5mg
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36.7g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 30.5mg
Keywords: cinnamon buns