These coffee cupcakes are topped with a rich bittersweet chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s like your favorite mocha coffee drink in cupcake form.
For the Cupcakes
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, at room-temperature
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cups butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard sized muffin tin with cupcake liners (or spray with cooking spray).
- Using a stand mixer (with paddle attachment) or hand mixer first combine the oil and sugar together before adding the vanilla and eggs. Mix until well combined. Add the cream and coffee and continue to mix until it’s all well combined.
- In a separate medium sized bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt (I use a fine mesh strainer to sift – if you don’t have one you can just whisk the ingredients together.
- Set the mixer to a low speed and add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in a few batches mixing until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full with the batter. Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling make the frosting. First, whip the butter on high speed until it starts to look fluffy and airy.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla and continue to mix (start at a lower speed and increase to medium) until well incorporated. Finally, add the melted chocolate and stir until combined. You may need to scrape down the sides to ensure all the ingredients are mixed together.
I used bittersweet chocolate for the frosting, which makes the frosting super rich. You can easily substitute unsweetened chocolate or semi-sweet if you prefer. Also, the recipe makes a lot of frosting – feel free to cut the recipe in half if you like less frosting on your cupcakes so nothing goes to waste.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 27g
- Sodium: 118.7mg
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 21g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 37.9g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 59.3mg
Keywords: coffee cupcakes