If mac & cheese and potatoes had a love child its name would be Creamy Potato Casserole. Rich and comforting it’s best served with all of your favorite cold weather main dishes.
- 2 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 whole leek
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1/2 a small yellow onion
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat the potatoes and leek with the olive oil and spread them out in an even layer on a sheet pan. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the top. Roast the potatoes and leek for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is frothy, add the flour and whisk to make a paste. Cook the flour and butter for a couple of minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously, until fully combined with the butter and flour. Add the onion and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously, until the mixture starts to thicken. It should coat the back of a spoon. Stir in 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Add 2 cups of the cheese and stir well until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and lower the heat to 375 degrees. Transfer the potatoes to a baking dish. Chop the leek and stir into the potatoes. Pour the cheese sauce over the top of the potatoes and leek and stir to combine. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese has melted on top.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 344
Keywords: potato casserole