Rich and decadent double cheddar macaroni and cheese made with a classic bechamel sauce and two types of cheddar cheese. It’s a go-to comfort food favorite.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% percent milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 onion, peeled with a single clove in it
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup aged cheddar cheese (see note)
- 1 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated (see note)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the macaroni for about five minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauce pot, melt the butter until frothy. Add the flour and mix it with the melted butter until there are no lumps (about 2 or 3 minutes). Slowly pour in the milk and cream mixture, whisking continuously, until the milk and flour/butter mixture are smooth with no lumps.
- Add the onion with the clove stuck in it and the ground mustard. Bring the pot to a low simmer and cook the sauce until it’s thick enough to just coat the back of a spoon, about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Season the sauce with the salt and pepper and add 1 cup of each type of cheddar cheese (save the rest for the baking dish). Stir until the sauce is smooth and the cheese has melted.
- Add the macaroni back to the large pot it was boiled in. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and gently stir it all together until the macaroni is coated. The sauce may be a little loose, which is fine. The pasta will finish cooking while in the oven and the sauce will continue to thicken.
- Spoon about a third of the pasta and cheese sauce into a baking dish. Sprinkle a third of the remaining cheese over the top. Scoop 1/2 of the remaining pasta over the top of the cheese. Top that layer with some more cheese, leaving enough for the last layer. Add the remaining pasta and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Let it stand a few minutes before serving.
I used one type of cheddar cheese that was aged for 2 years and another one that was a white Irish cheddar (brand was Kerrygold). They made for an extra cheddar-y (is that a word?) mac and cheese and both can be found at regular grocery stores.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 637
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 601mg
- Fat: 45.7g
- Carbohydrates: 35.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 21.3g
Keywords: double cheddar macaroni and cheese