Rich and decadent baked macaroni and cheese made with a classic bechamel sauce and two types of cheese. It’s rich, creamy, and a perfect side dish for holiday dinners or any time you’re craving some serious comfort food.
- 16 ounces macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 of yellow onion (one wedge)
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Boil the macaroni for two minutes less than what’s listed on the package. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- In the same pot that you cooked the pasta, melt the butter over medium heat until frothy. Add the flour and mix it with the melted butter until there are no lumps (about 2 or 3 minutes). Slowly pour in the milk and cream, whisking continuously, until the mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Add the onion wedgy and smashed garlic. Cook the sauce for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat. You don’t want it to boil, so lower the heat if necessary. It will start to thicken as it cooks.
- Discard the onion and garlic. Season the sauce with the salt and add all but 1 cup of the cheese (save the rest for the baking dish). Stir until the sauce is smooth and the cheese has melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and stir to combine. The sauce may be a little loose, which is fine. It will thicken in the oven.
- Transfer the pasta and sauce to a 9×13″ baking dish. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. Bake the mac and cheese for 15 to 20 minutes or until it’s bubbly hot and the sauce is thickened. Let it stand a few minutes before serving.
I’ve also made this with aged white cheddar cheese instead of Monterey jack and it’s delicious, but it won’t be as creamy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 556
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Sodium: 555.4mg
- Fat: 27.5g
- Saturated Fat: 16.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 51.9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 24.7g
- Cholesterol: 78.9g
Keywords: baked macaroni and cheese