These muffins are so easy to make and are perfect for a weekend brunch or a take-to-work treat for the break room. Each muffin has milk chocolate chips throughout making them extra rich and decadent!
- 3 ripe medium-sized bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon strong-brewed coffee, at room temperature (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (see note)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
Optional for Topping
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a standard-sized muffin tin by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl stir together the mashed bananas, butter, egg, sugar, vanilla, and coffee until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups of flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir until just combined. Gently fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Divide muffin batter evenly across the muffin cups ( fill each about 1/2 way). Top each muffin with the chopped walnuts and extra chocolate chips, if using.
- Bake the muffins for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Starting checking on them at 15 minutes and remove them from the oven once they pass the toothpick test.
- Let them cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Adding a small amount of coffee enhances the chocolate flavor – you won’t be able to taste the coffee at all. However, if you are concerned about caffeine you can just leave it out.
For the flour, I like to stir the flour in the container first and then lightly spoon it into the measuring cup. Use a dinner knife to level it off.
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 17.4g
- Sodium: 209.3mg
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 25.7mg
Keywords: chocolate banana muffins, chocolate muffins