This smooth and creamy cheese dip has real cheese (no wobbly blocks of cheese-product required!), cooks up in the microwave in just a few minutes, and goes great with some chips and guacamole on the side.
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chile (Rotel), drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the fontina, cheddar cheese, salt, and cornstarch. The cornstarch should evenly coat the cheese. Pour the milk into the bowl and add the diced tomatoes with green chile.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and cook it for 1 minute. Stir the dip and microwave it for another 30 seconds and stir again. Cook it for 30 seconds more and stir it again. At this point, it should be smooth, but if it’s not, continue cooking it for 30-second increments and stirring until it is smooth.
You want to use block cheese so you can weigh it and then shred it. This is because if you measure the shredded cheese using a measuring cup the total amount will vary depending on how tightly you pack the cheese. So, for best results weigh it before you shred it.
Recipe lightly adapted from Bon Appetit
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 526.8mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 11.1g
Keywords: easy cheese dip, microwave cheese dip, cheddar cheese dip