Homemade salsa that’s not watery, not too thick, and full of fresh flavors from tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno. This is a cooked salsa recipe that is ready to go in less than 30 minutes. It’s full of fresh flavors and so easy to make.
- 10 ounces Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 medium white onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed and roughly chopped (see note)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (about a palmful)
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste (see note)
- Place everything but the lime juice in a blender or food processor. Pulse several times until the tomatoes break down and the mixture is a little chunky. Transfer the mixture to a nonstick skillet.
- Heat the salsa over medium-high to high heat until it starts to bubble. Lower the heat and simmer it for 10 to 15 minutes or until it has thickened. Depending on the size of your skillet this may take more or less time. The easiest way to tell when it’s ready is to drag a spoon or spatula across the bottom of the pan. You should be able to see the bottom of the skillet for a few seconds before the salsa runs back over it.
- Turn off the heat and add the lime juice and stir. Transfer the salsa to an airtight container and chill it for several hours before serving, ideally overnight. This will allow the flavors to fully develop. Makes approximately 1 1/2 cups.
If you like heat, don’t remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeno.
It’s best to start with less salt and add more if you think it needs it. I usually wait until the salsa has had a chance to chill in the fridge before adding more. So, before you serve it give it a taste and adjust as needed.
Recipe adapted from Mexico in My Kitchen
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 14
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 106.5mg
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 3.2g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: homemade salsa, blender salsa, easy salsa recipe