These shrimp tacos are ready in 30 minutes! The shrimp are coated in a sweet and spicy sauce made with chili seasonings, honey, lime juice, and garlic. Serve the shrimp and sauce on warm tortillas with a simple creamy cabbage slaw for a great weeknight dinner.
For the Slaw
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
For the Shrimp
- 4 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- 16 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp (see note)
- Flour tortillas (see note)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges
- Make the slaw first by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl. Keep it in the refrigerator while you prepare the shrimp and sauce.
- Combine the garlic, honey, olive oil, all the spices and seasonings, and the lime juice in a large skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Lower the heat to medium, and add the shrimp to the sauce. Stir to coat them and cook them until they are opaque and pink. About four to five minutes. The sauce will thin as the shrimp cook, which is fine.
- Once the shrimp are cooked, take them out of the skillet and place them in a bowl. Leave the sauce in the pan and bring it back to a boil. Boil it until it thickens. This will take a couple of minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp and toss to coat them evenly.
- To assemble the tacos, place some slaw in a tortilla and top it with some shrimp and sauce. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
For the shrimp, you can use fresh or frozen. If you use frozen ones you will need to thaw them first. I like to use a medium-size, which is the 21-25 count.
I like to use the small street taco tortillas for this recipe, which gives you approximately 8 tacos. You can also skip the tortillas and serve the shrimp over rice with the slaw for taco bowls.
The nutrition estimate is for the shrimp, sauce, and slaw only.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 11.3g
- Sodium: 897.4mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 17.1g
- Cholesterol: 151.3mg
Keywords: easy shrimp tacos, shrimp tacos recipe, shrimp taco sauce, shrimp tacos with cabbage