Easy chicken parmesan made on the stove top in one skillet.
- 8 ounces penne
- 2 tablespoons of flour, seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons store-bought breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper (see note)
- 1/2 cup store-bought jarred tomato sauce (I used Rao’s)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook the penne according to package directions.
- First, set up the breading station for the chicken breasts. Place the seasoned flour in one shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and panko in another shallow dish, and lightly beat the egg with a fork in a third shallow dish.
- Lightly coat each chicken breast with the flour, then dunk it in the beaten egg (let any excess egg drip off), and then coat it in the bread crumb and panko. Repeat with each chicken breast.
- In a large skillet (I used a 11 1/2 inch one), heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet in one layer and cook for several minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Top each chicken breast with tomato sauce and cheese slices. Turn the oven on broil and transfer the skillet to the oven. Let it sit under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese has melted and starts to bubble.
- Serve the chicken parmesan over the penne and garnish with parsley.
I bought pre-sliced chicken breasts, but if you can’t find them buy regular boneless skinless chicken breasts and slice them horizontally in half. You want them about 1/4 inch thick, so pound them out thin with a mallet or rolling pin, if needed.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Calories: 600
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Fat: 20.2g
- Carbohydrates: 56.8g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 45g
Keywords: skillet chicken parmesan, easy chicken parmesan recipe