This rich and decadent flourless chocolate cake is a go-to favorite!
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 8 ounces, bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup of sugar, divided
- Powdered sugar, for dusting the cake (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl by microwaving it in 30 seconds intervals. At the end of each 30-second interval stop to stir. I’m sure Chef Puck would be very upset that I don’t melt my chocolate using the double boiler method, but I have found that it works just as well in the microwave. Just be careful not to cook it too long and stir frequently. In my experience, I have found that it usually takes 2-3 30-second intervals for it to melt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, the salt and all but 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Stir the melted chocolate into the yolks until combined.
- As I mentioned, I’ve made this cake quite a few times and have discovered there are two critical steps in the recipe. The first critical step is whipping the egg whites to the right consistency. First, beat them on medium speed with an electric mixer in a large bowl until they are stiff enough to hold a soft peak. Then slowly add the 3 tablespoons of sugar and beat them just until they tighten up, but are not dry. If you overbeat them your cake will be too dry. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until combined and then pour all of it into the cake pan.
- The second critical step is baking the cake. The original recipe says to bake it for an hour and fifteen minutes, but I have discovered it takes less time. Every oven varies, so I recommend baking it for 45 minutes to an hour. Start checking it at 45 minutes and, if necessary, continuing baking it until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove it from the oven and turn it out onto a wire rack to cool. The center of the cake may sink a bit, which is fine. Once cooled, place the serving platter on top of the cake and, holding on to both the dish and the rack flip the cake over. Garnish with powdered sugar before serving.
Source: Food Network
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 36g
- Sodium: 91.1mg
- Fat: 33.8g
- Saturated Fat: 19.2g
- Carbohydrates: 42.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 197.9mg
Keywords: flourless chocolate cake, gourmet chocolate cake