Hearty Italian sausage soup made with a little red wine and chicken stock along with fresh sage, carrots, and spinach.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup diced red onion (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 3–4 large cloves)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red wine (like a cabernet or pinot noir)
- 2 large carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch coins
- 6 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 8 ounce canned tomato sauce
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup grated provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the sausage and brown it using a spatula to break it up into bite-sized pieces. Once the sausage is browned add the onions, garlic, sage, oregano, and salt and stir. Let it all cook for about five minutes or so. Pour the wine into the pot and, using a spatula, scrape up the browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Simmer the wine until it mostly evaporates, stirring frequently.
- Add the carrots, chopped spinach, tomato sauce and chicken stock and stir it all together. Raised the heat and bring the pot to a strong simmer. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender. Skim the fat from the surface of the soup and discard. Stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Garnish each serving with the grated provolone and fresh parsley.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 489
- Fat: 31.5g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 31.9g
Keywords: Italian sausage soup, red wine sausage soup