I’ve partnered again with the folks at “Got To Be NC” to share with you another amazing North Carolina company – Vineyards on the Scuppernong. Learn how I used their refreshing peach wine to make grown-up ice cream parfaits. I received compensation and free product to bring you this recipe today – thank you to the NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services for connecting me with a great local winery and for sponsoring this post.
When I moved to the Raleigh, North Carolina area four years ago I encountered a few things I didn’t expect: spirited cross-town college rivalries, friendly Southern-types I thought only existed in novels, and the happy discovery that both the beach and the mountains were within driving distance. Even after four years this great state continues to serve up new discoveries, one of which was my recent introduction to the local wine industry. In North Carolina, a trip to wine country doesn’t require an airline ticket because it’s all right here in our backyard. With about 100 local wineries in the state you don’t have to go too far for a spontaneous Saturday afternoon wine-tasting.
And it was through my partnership with NC Department of Agriculture that I discovered Vineyards on the Scuppernong, a family-owned winery located in Columbia, NC along the shores of the Scuppernong River, not far from the famed Outer Banks. Jack and Grace Bishop, along with their son David (or “Bud” as he’s better known), have been making wine and hosting visitors at the winery (who often arrive by boat thanks to local river tours) for last twelve years. They specialize in fruit wines and offer complimentary tastings, as well as vineyard tours.
When I first learned about their fruit wines I couldn’t help but remember the “fruity” wines I drank in college, the details of which are fuzzy. I have a hazy taste memory of those saccharine-sweet drinks best described as a handful of life-saver candies dissolved in a glass of wine. Much to my delight, one glass of Vineyards on the Scuppernong’s peach wine was enough to erase those haunting memories. Imagine holding a farm-fresh peach, a peach you just purchased at a road-side farm stand in the middle of July. Its scent is sweet with a touch of acidity and faintly tropical. You can’t help but take a bite right there, in your car, with juice dribbling down your chin that leaves your hands and steering wheel sticky with a peachy perfume. It tastes like summer, right? That, my friends, is what you get in every drop of their peach wine. They use nothing but the freshest ingredients.
Ice Cream Parfaits with Peach Wine Syrup
And while enjoying a glass of their wine is wonderful way to end the day, I couldn’t help but take it a few steps further and incorporate their peach wine into a dessert.
I like to think of these ice cream parfaits as the more grown-up version of what you might get at an ice cream shop. Vanilla bean ice cream layered with juicy peaches, sweet blueberries, and, for an adults-only twist, drizzles of a peach wine syrup that takes less than ten minutes to make. The wine syrup adds a light acidity that balances out the richness of the ice cream and offers a little sophisticated surprise as you make your way through the parfait.
Before I get to the recipe you should know all the peach wine goodness can be yours even if you don’t live in North Carolina. Vineyards on the Scuppernong ship their delicious and affordable wines to most states (check availability and shop here).
💌 Sign up and get your free guide: Gourmet Made Simple: 5 Secrets for Making Fancy (but Not Fussy!) Meals delivered to your inbox!
Got to be NC Blogger Posts for #HomeGrownFare17
- Introducing Harvest Time Foods Gluten Free Products from Andrea of Good Girl Gone Redneck
- Chocolate Cherry Rum Cake Bites from Angie of Big Bear’s Wife
- Sweet and Tart Spaghetti and Meatballs from Emily of The Edible Coast
- Uncle Chris’ Smokin’ Habanero Pimento Cheese Mac and Cheese from Fran of Sip, Stir, Go
- North Carolina Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Mango Salsa and Rice from Hadassah of World on a Table
- Choose Better, Drink Sunshine and Brighten Your Life from Jen of JAB’s Plethorak
- North Carolina Muffaletta with Bruce Julian from Jenni of Pastry Chef Online
- Homemade Caterpillar Rolls, North Carolina Style from Kate of Life of a Ginger
- Got to Be NC Air Fried Tofu Rancheros with Veggies and Little Face Salsa from Kathy of Healthy Slow Cooking
- Little Black Dress Dinner Party: Easy Baked Pork Tenderloin with a Dressy Salad Wedge Side from Leigh of HinesSight
- Discovering The World’s Best Popcorn from Linda of Hispanic Mama
- Easy Shrimp Noodle Bowl with Bertie County Peanuts from Meghan of I’m Fixin’ To
- Coming Home to Gregory Vineyards from Rachel of Fit Triangle Mom
A simple peach wine syrup takes these parfaits to an elevated adults-only level.
For the Peach Wine Syrup
- 1/2 cup peach wine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
For the Parfaits
- 1 pint vanilla bean ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup diced peaches (see note)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup whipped cream and mint sprigs, for garnish
- Make the peach wine syrup: Heat the wine and sugar in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring it to a simmer and let it bubble until the sugar has dissolved. Transfer to a container and place it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Make the parfaits: scoop about 1/4 cup of ice cream and place in the bottom of each glass. Top with peaches and blueberries. Add a tablespoon or so of the wine syrup over the fruit. Add another 1/4 cup of ice cream, more fruit, and another drizzle of syrup. Place the parfaits in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up the ice cream. To serve, top with whipped cream and a sprig of fresh mint (optional).
If peaches are not in season, substitute frozen ones – just be sure to thaw them in the refrigerator before using them in the recipe.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 50.5g
- Sodium: 88.1mg
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 58.5mg
Keywords: peach wine syrup, ice cream parfaits
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.