Fresh chard is a great cooking green, but it has a bit of a chew so be sure to chop it into small pieces. Spinach is a bit more tender and works well here, too, so feel free to substitute if you prefer.
For the Chicken Breasts
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1/2 pound total), pounded to an even thickness
- Black pepper
For the Greens
- 1 slice thick cut bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large leek (white and tender green parts), sliced (see note)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh chard (2 bunches), ribs removed and leaves chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- juice from 1 lemon
- Marinate the chicken: the lemon zest, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, juice, salt and chicken in a resealable bag. Squish it around to coat the chicken and let it marinate while the greens cook.
- Cook the greens: Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large pot. Once it’s rendered it’s fat, add the sliced leek. Cook the leek for a minute or so in the bacon fat. Add the garlic and chard (depending on the size of your pot you may need to add the chard in batches). Let the greens cook, stirring frequently until the chard is wilted and cooked down. Reduce the heat to medium-low and keep an eye on the greens while you grill the chicken.
- Cook the chicken: Heat the other 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a separate skillet. Add the marinated chicken and cook for about five minutes on both sides, or until cooked through (internal temperature should be 165 degrees). Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and season with black pepper. While the chicken rests, finish the greens. Add the fresh lemon juice to the greens and stir. Serve with the chicken.
Leeks can be a little gritty, so be sure to slice it open and rinse the layers to remove any grit that might be hiding inside.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 2123.9mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
Keywords: sauteed chard, chicken recipe, sauteed greens with chicken