Light and lemony muffins with a crunchy brown sugar topping.
For the Streusel
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest (from about 2 small lemons)
- 2–4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
Make the Streusel:
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl, except the butter.
- Add the melted butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Set the topping aside while you make the batter.
Make the Muffins:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and eggs until the sugar is dissolved by hand. Add the oil and the sour cream and mix. Add the lemon zest and juice and stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir just until combined. The batter will be thick and will have some lumps and that’s okay.
- Fill each muffin liner about 2/3 full and then sprinkle the streusel topping over each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove them from the pan and let them cool on a baking rack.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
Keywords: lemon muffins, streusel muffins