Loaded Mexican rice is like nachos without the chips or a burrito without the tortilla. It’s packed full of veggies, black beans, and chicken and topped with cheese – serve it with the simple guacamole and sour cream on the side.
For the Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
For the Guacamole
- 2 avocados, pit and skin removed
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Lime wedges
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook it until it’s no longer pink on the outside. Add the onions and cook them for a few minutes, just until they start to soften. Add the garlic and bell pepper and let it all cook for another 3 minutes or so. Add the corn and black beans and stir it all together.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Bring the pan to a simmer and then add the chili powder, cilantro, and salt. Let it all simmer for a few minutes and then raise the heat to bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add the rice and stir. Cook the rice, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- While the rice is cooking prepare the garnishes. In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with a fork. Add the salt, lime juice, and cilantro. Give it a quick stir and set it aside.
- Once the rice is tender, add the cheese in a layer on top. Pop the pan under the broiler for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese. Serve with the guacamole, sour cream, and lime wedges.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 595
- Sugar: 12.1g
- Sodium: 1624.6mg
- Fat: 25.4g
- Carbohydrates: 47.7g
- Fiber: 15.4g
- Protein: 35.9g
Keywords: mexican rice, one pan recipe