Rich and hearty meatball stroganoff is a twist on the classic beef dish. Use your favorite homemade meatballs or frozen store-bought ones to make this a really easy weeknight dinner. Mushrooms and meatballs simmered in a rich sauce with sour cream is serious comfort food!
Table of contents
This meatball stroganoff is another twist on classic stroganoff. Switching things up is one of my favorite things, and this version is a third twist – I have a small-scale stroganoff on toast in my cookbook and a ground beef stroganoff that I shared a year or so ago. This meatball one is the easiest yet and just as delicious.
Instead of steak or ground beef, you use meatballs to make this hearty comfort food dish. Any meatballs will work – your favorite homemade one or frozen store-bought ones. Beef or turkey – it’s up to you. Using premade ones means this recipe is ready to serve in about 40 minutes, making this recipe a great contender for weeknight meals.
- Unsalted butter
- Quartered baby Bella mushrooms
- Diced yellow onion
- Salt and black pepper
- Finely chopped garlic
- All-purpose flour
- Dry white wine
- Beef broth or stock
- Dijon mustard
- Meatballs – you can use frozen store-bought ones or homemade meatballs
- Sour cream
- Chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Cooked egg noodles or rice for serving
Melt the butter in a non-stick large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, salt, and pepper and sauté them for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their moisture. Add the garlic and cook it with the mushrooms and onions for a minute or so.
Sprinkle the flour over the top of the mushrooms and stir to coat them. Add the white wine and stir. As it simmers, scrape up all of the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
Add the beef stock and mustard. Stir and then add the meatballs. Cover the pan and adjust the heat to medium. Simmer the meatballs for ten minutes or until they are warmed through.
Uncover the pan and take it off the heat. Add the sour cream and stir to combine. Serve the meatball stroganoff with noodles or rice. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives.
Tips and Shortcuts!
Yes, you can use frozen meatballs – just chuck them straight in the pan from the freezer! I’ve made this with frozen beef meatballs and turkey meatballs. Both are great.
You can also use your favorite meatball recipe (or try my easy ground beef meatballs that are quick to prep) just be sure they are cooked before you add them to the stroganoff. You won’t have to simmer them as long if they are not frozen when you add them.
You can skip chopping the onion and use two cups of frozen chopped onions – a shortcut I am happy to take.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days. The sauce may thicken up – you can thin it with a little beef stock or even some water.
Cooking for kids? You can omit the wine and use beef broth instead.
Veggie Side Dish Ideas
This saucy rich dish pairs perfectly with a simple vegetable side dish like:
If you love mushrooms, meatballs, and a creamy savory sauce, this meatball stroganoff recipe is one to add to your list. It’s the perfect dinner when you’re craving something hearty and comforting. I hope you love it.
P.S. Get new recipe delivered to your inbox! Sign up for the Weekly Newsletter 📧
More Favorite Comfort Food Recipes
- Crock Pot Poblano Tomatillo Pork Chile
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- Baked Sausage and Peppers
- Ricotta Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Meatball Subs
Meatball stroganoff is an easy twist on the classic comfort food dish. Use frozen meatballs to make this really easy and serve the savory sauce and meatballs over egg noodles or rice for a hearty dinner.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 24 ounces frozen beef meatballs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Cooked rice or egg noodles
- Chopped chives or parsley for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, salt, and pepper and cook them for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their moisture. Add the garlic and cook it with the mushrooms and onions for a minute or so.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the mushrooms and stir to coat them. Add the white wine and stir. As it simmers, scrape up all of the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add th beef stock and mustard. Stir and then add the meatballs. Cover the pan and adjust the heat to medium. Simmer the meatballs for ten minutes or until they are warmed through.
- Uncover the pan and take it off the heat. Add the sour cream and stir to combine. Serve the meatball stroganoff with noodles or rice. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 441
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 1074.1mg
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 13.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 19.7g
- Cholesterol: 95.2mg
Keywords: meatball stroganoff
The nutrition is an estimate only. It was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.