This easy-to-make mocha pudding cake is a perfect dessert for two. As the cake bakes a pudding is created on the bottom so when you dig in you get warm and creamy pudding with every bite of cake.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hot decaf coffee (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In 16-oz baking dish, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and baking powder. Add the milk and oil and stir until well combined. Smooth the batter into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and the chocolate chips over the top of the batter. Pour the hot coffee over the top (don’t stir otherwise you won’t get the pudding).
- Bake the pudding cake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges of the cake start to pull away from the pan. The cake will still be jiggly in the center. Let the cake stand for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm as is or top it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- If you don’t love coffee you can make a chocolate only version by using the same amount of hot water instead. I’ve tested it both ways and enjoy both.
- Recipe adapted from An Italian in My Kitchen
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the cake
- Calories: 405
- Sugar: 38.6g
- Fat: 20.3g
- Carbohydrates: 59.2g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 6.4g
Keywords: pudding cake, chocolate pudding cake, warm chocolate cake recipe