This goat cheese salad has tender roasted beets and a simple dressing. Easy to make and perfect for the holidays!
Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad
A couple of years ago I posted a tomato & pickled beet salad, which we’ve made – oh, I don’t know – like a thousand times since. It’s been my go-to salad for all kinds of occasions and, while I still love it, I thought it was time to switch things up and try something new.
With the holiday season upon us I wanted to make something that would look pretty and feel sort of fancy – we all want to be a little fancy for the holidays, don’t we? Roasted beets and creamy goat cheese seemed like a good choice – the colors are perfect for the season. I also decided to bread and lightly pan-fry the goat cheese to make it a little bit more special.
Makes for a pretty plate, right?
I think this might be my new go-to special occasion salad – it’s definitely guest-worthy!
More Salad RecipesPrint
Goat Cheese Salad with Roasted Beets
This goat cheese salad has tender roasted beets and a simple dressing. Easy to make and perfect for the holidays! The warm breaded goat cheese is so decadent and is sure to wow your guests.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
- 4 small to medium sized red beets, tops removed
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4–5 healthy handfuls of spring mix salad greens
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse the beets, wrap them in tin foil, and place them on a baking sheet and roast for about an hour or until fork tender. Remove them from the oven and, once they’ve cooled enough to handle, remove the skins by rubbing the beet with a paper towel – the skin should come right off. Slice the beets and place in the fridge to chill.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, breadcrumbs, herbs, and salt. In another small bowl beat the egg with a fork. Carefully slice the goat cheese into 1-ounce discs and coat each with the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Lay the discs on a plate or baking sheet and once all discs are coated move them to the freezer and let them chill for 5 minutes.
- While the goat cheese is chilling, heat 2 tablespoons in a medium pan over medium heat. Remove the goat cheese from the freezer and pan fry on each side until golden (depending on the size of your pan this may need to be done in batches). Carefully remove the goat cheese from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the balsamic. Season the dressing with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Add the lettuce and toss to coat in the dressing. Divide the dressed lettuce evenly among four plates. Tuck the sliced beets into the lettuce. Top with the breaded goat cheese.. Season each salad with a pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
The beets can be roasted ahead of time (up to 2-3 days in advance) and kept in the fridge until ready to use.
The goat cheese will be easier to slice if it’s well chilled beforehand – don’t take it out of the fridge until you are ready to slice it. Also, wiping your knife between each slice will make for easier slicing.
Depending on how much dressing you like on your salad (I like mine very lightly dressed) you may want to adjust the measurements up or down to suit your tastes.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 662.6mg
- Fat: 27.6g
- Saturated Fat: 10.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 14.9g
- Cholesterol: 72.6mg
Keywords: breaded goat cheese salad, roasted beet salad