This recipe is like Thanksgiving dinner in soup and sandwich form, complete with homemade cranberry sauce, turkey and a mashed potato-inspired creamy cauliflower soup. And as with any great soup and grilled cheese combo, don’t be afraid to do a little sandwich dunking for the best experience.
For the Soup
- 1 (10-oz [284 g]) head of cauliflower, broken into 1″ (2.5-cm) florets
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp (10 g) kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup (76 g) chopped onion
- 2 tsp (6 g) chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups (592 ml) vegetable stock
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
For the Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 cup (50 g) frozen cranberries
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 2 tbsp (28 g) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 g) Dijon mustard
- 4 slices country white bread
- 4 oz (115 g) thin-sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- To make the soup, spread the cauliflower florets in an even layer on a baking sheet. Coat the cauliflower evenly with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the olive oil and season it with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the cauliflower over on the sheet pan and continue to roast it for another 15 minutes, or until it’s fork tender.
- In a 3 1/2-quart (3-L) saucepan, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon (7 ml) olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the oregano and stir. Add the roasted cauliflower and vegetable stock and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree the soup using an immersion blender, add the lemon juice and simmer it over medium-low heat while you make the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- To make the sandwiches, first cook the frozen cranberries and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the cranberries have warmed through, add the honey. Stir to combine and use a potato masher to mash the cranberries. Cook the sauce for 1 minute, or until it has thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- Divide the mayonnaise and mustard between 2 bread slices and spread them into an even layer on each. Top the bread with the turkey and 2 slices of cheese for each sandwich. Spread the cranberry sauce on the other 2 slices of bread.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden and crispy.
- Add the cream to the soup and stir to combine. Serve the soup, sprinkled with the parsley, with the sandwiches on the side.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted cauliflower soup, turkey grilled cheese, soup and grilled cheese recipe