Traditional Alfredo sauce gets dressed up with roasted red peppers. It’s rich, creamy, and so decadent!
- 5 ounces spaghetti or fettuccine
- 1 (12-ounce) jar of roasted red peppers, drained
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil, plus extra for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While you are waiting for the water to boil prepare the roasted red peppers by pureeing them in a blender or food processor. Strain the puree by pouring it through a fine-mesh sieve over a medium-sized bowl. Using a spatula or spoon press on the solids to extract all of the juice. Discard the solids and set the strained puree aside. You should have about 3/4 cup.
- Add the pasta to the pot and cook for about 1/2 the time recommended on the package. You will add the pasta to the sauce to let it finish cooking.
- While the pasta is boiling bring the cream to a simmer over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. Add the butter and whisk continuously until it’s melted and incorporated into the cream. Pour in the strained red pepper puree. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer and let it cook for a few minutes. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir until it’s melted into the sauce.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to coat it in the sauce. The sauce will be loose at this point, so you want to simmer the pasta, stirring it constantly, in the sauce until it starts to thicken and adheres to the pasta – you don’t want a loose sauce dripping off of the noodles. Add a couple of tablespoons of the starchy pasta water, if needed, to help the sauce thicken. Don’t worry, the pasta will need the other half of it’s cooking time in the sauce so let it simmer and continuing tossing it around. if needed, grate another 1/4 cup of cheese into the sauce. Also, this would be the time to season with salt and pepper to taste. In the last couple of minutes stir in the chopped basil.
- Once the sauce has thickened and is coating the pasta, serve immediately with some extra chopped basil and a little parm grated over the top.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 1042
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Sodium: 816.5mg
- Fat: 71.3g
- Saturated Fat: 44.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 22.2g
- Trans Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 68.9g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 34g
- Cholesterol: 200.5mg
Keywords: roasted red pepper alfredo, red pepper cream sauce, red pepper pasta recipe