A creamy roasted red pepper and tomato bisque garnished with croutons and blue cheese crumbles.
For the Soup
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoons of flour
- 1 (28) ounce can whole plum tomatoes
- 12-ounce jar whole roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, plus more chopped for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup cream
For the Garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 thick slices French bread cut into medium-sized cubes
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- salt & pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Cook the vegetables until they start to soften about 5-10 minutes. Add the flour to the vegetables and stir. Add the red peppers, tomatoes, and herbs. Break up the tomatoes with a spatula and let it all cook together for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the stock and bring the pot to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the smashed garlic and let it cook for a few minutes in the oil (keep it moving around the pan). After a couple of minutes, transfer the garlic to the other pot with the soup, reserving the oil.
- Add the bread cubes to the pan and toss to coat them in the oil. Season them with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toast the cubes in the pan for just a few minutes. Keep a close eye on them because they can burn easily. Once toasted, remove the croutons from the pan and set aside.
- Once the soup has simmered for 30 minutes, remove the parsley, thyme stems, and bay leaf. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or stand blender. Wipe out the stockpot and pour the soup back into the pot through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the solids. Reheat the soup over medium heat. Once warmed, add the cream.
- Top each serving with the croutons, blue cheese crumbles, and chopped parsley.
The soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the soup without the cream. Once the soup is strained, transfer it to freezer containers. To serve, gently reheat the soup on the stove. Add the cream, garnishes, and serve.
- Category: Soups & Stews
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 551
- Fat: 43.6g
- Carbohydrates: 34.3g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Protein: 10.9g
Keywords: roasted red pepper tomato bisque, roasted red pepper soup