This is my take on traditional sausage and peppers that includes pasta and a few simple ingredients to make a sauce. It’s a 30-minute dinner full of fresh flavors.
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 medium-sized bell peppers (any color), sliced into 2-inch long pieces
- 1/2 of a medium-sized yellow onion, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 18 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Boil the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Break the sausage up as it cooks until it’s browned. Add the garlic, peppers, and onion. Stir and cook the veggies with the sausage until the start to soften, about five minutes.
- Add the red wine to the pan and, as it simmers, scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and salt. Stir and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook the sausage and peppers in the sauce for about five minutes, or so. Add the cooked pasta to the pan and stir to coat it in the sauce. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Sodium: 1168.4mg
- Fat: 20.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 54.8g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Protein: 22.4g
- Cholesterol: 62.1mg
Keywords: italian sausage pasta recipe, sausage and peppers recipe