Using store-bought pie crust makes these hand pies so easy to make. Plus, they are freezer-friendly, which means you can make them ahead and bake them as you need them. See the recipe notes for instructions on how to freeze them.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 store-bought pie dough rounds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, 1/4 cup of sugar, lemon zest, and 1 egg together until well combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Beat the other egg in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Unroll the pie dough rounds and, using a pizza cutter, cut each into 4 triangles, so you have 8 pieces of dough to make the hand pies. Fill a small bowl with a few tablespoons of water.
- Place a generous 1/4 cup of the cream cheese filling with the blueberries just off-center on each piece of dough. Moisten the edges of each dough piece with a little water. Fold one side of the dough over the filling so that it meets the other edge. Gently press on the edges to seal the seam. Repeat with the other hand pies.
- Brush the tops of the hand pies with a light coating of the egg and water mixture. Sprinkle the extra sugar over the top of each hand pie. Cut a few one-inch slits in the dough to allow steam to escape and transfer the hand pies to the baking sheet.
- Bake the hand pies for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops have turned golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
How to freeze the hand pies:
- Follow the recipe instructions up until the point that you would bake them. Instead of popping them in the oven, place the hand pies on baking sheets and place them in the freezer just until they freeze.
- Wrap each hand pie in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer bag until you are ready to bake them.
- To bake from frozen, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the frozen hand pies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them for 40-45 minutes, or until they turn golden on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 hand pie
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 10.3g
- Sodium: 340.9mg
- Fat: 25.2g
- Saturated Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 40.9g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 75.2mg
Keywords: blueberry hand pies, easy hand pies recipe, blueberry dessert recipe