Shredded BBQ chicken is easy to make in the slow cooker and a great way to feed a crowd or make a batch for easy dinners during the week. I like to pile the BBQ chicken on buns, but it’s also great wrapped up in tortillas or tossed with greens and veggies for a salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 8 hamburger buns
- Dill pickle slices (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin side down in the pan and cook it until the skin has browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and place it in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and spices.
- Pour half of the sauce over the top of the chicken, cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on high for four hours or on low for eight hours. Reserve the other half of the sauce for serving.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker. Using two forks, carefully separate the meat from the bones and skin and shred it. Discard the bones and skin.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker. Stir until it’s well coated in the sauce, cover, and let it warm through again with the cooker set on high.
- Serve on buns with a spoonful of the extra sauce and dill pickle slices.
Because brands vary, the nutrition estimates do not include the hamburger buns or pickles.
- Calories: 432
- Sugar: 19.1g
- Sodium: 956.4mg
- Fat: 10.3g
- Carbohydrates: 25.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 55.7g
Keywords: slow cooker shredded chicken, shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches