Cozy and comforting beef stew with rutabaga, carrots, and fresh herbs. Use a 6-quart slow cooker to simmer the stew all day until the beef is falling-apart-tender. Serve with crusty bread on the side to soak up all the gravy.
- 2 cups beef stock
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds stew meat, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, sliced into thick coins
- 1 pound of rutabagas, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 4 ounces baby leeks, white and tender green parts thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef stock, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Set this aside while you cook the beef.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place the stew meat in an even layer in the skillet and cook it on one side until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the meat and brown it on the other side. Transfer the beef to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add enough of the beef stock mixture to cover the bottom of the pan and, as it simmers, scrape up all the browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Turn off the heat and transfer the liquid to the slow cooker along with the rest of the beef stock mixture.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, rutabaga, leeks, and oregano to the slow cooker and stir. Cover and set the slow cooker to low and cook the stew for 4 hours. After four hours, add 1 tablespoon of chives and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Stir the stew, cover it with the lid, and cook it on low for another 4 hours. To serve, garnish each serving with the rest of the fresh herbs.
The cooked stew keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days, but you may need to thin it with beef stock when you reheat it because it thickens up a lot when chilled.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 610
- Sugar: 43g
- Sodium: 728.3mg
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated Fat: 6.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 76.3g
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 53.2g
- Cholesterol: 107.1mg
Keywords: slow cooker beef stew, stew without potatoes