The chicken & black bean spinach salad is a lunchtime power boost that will fuel you through the afternoon. It’s packed with veggies and tossed with a simple garlic-lime dressing. Prep the ingredients ahead of time (see the notes for more details) for easy weekday lunches.
For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 pinch each of kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Salad
- 4 generous cups of roughly chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, diced or shredded (see note)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced into quarters
- Whisk the lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil together in a small bowl until combined.
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach and cilantro together. Drizzle about half of the dressing over the greens and lightly toss them again to coat them in the dressing. Divide the greens between two serving bowls.
- Top the greens with the radishes, black beans, chicken, and feta cheese. Place the avocado slices on the salad, drizzle each salad with the remaining dressing and serve.
I like to cook the chicken ahead of time to make it easy to toss a salad together for lunch. To prepare the chicken, I pound it out to an even thickness (about a 1/2″ thick), season it on both sides with salt and pepper, and cook it on a grill pan on both sides until it’s cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Or, use shredded rotisserie chicken and skip the cooking.
If you want to prep this salad ahead of time, cook and dice the chicken, chop the spinach, slice the radishes, and drain and rinse the black beans. You can also make the dressing ahead. Keep all of the components separate in the fridge until you are ready to make the salads. Add the cheese and avocado and it’s ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 625
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 592.8g
- Fat: 46.4g
- Saturated Fat: 9.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 34.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8g
- Fiber: 11.3g
- Protein: 35.7g
- Cholesterol: 99.4mg
Keywords: spinach salad, chicken spinach salad