Sauteed mushrooms and warm steak served on a bed of fresh spinach and parsley. It’s a salad that’s both hearty and fresh and takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
For the Mushrooms & Steak
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (6-oz) sirloin steak, seasoned with salt and pepper
For the Salad
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook the mushrooms: Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and salt and stir to coat them in the oil. Cook the mushrooms, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their moisture and are golden brown. Transfer the mushrooms to a clean plate.
- Cook the steak: In the same pan, you used to cook the mushrooms add two teaspoons of olive oil. Turn the heat to medium-high and, once the pan is hot, place the steak in the pan. Cook the steak for three to four minutes on one side before flipping it over and cooking it for another few minutes on the other side or until it’s cooked to your desired doneness. Transfer the steak to a cutting board or plate to rest.
- Make the salad: Combine the balsamic, mustard, garlic, salt, and paper in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and whisk until it’s combined with the other ingredients. Add the spinach, parsley, and onion and gently toss them with the dressing.
- To serve: Divide the salad between two plates. Thinly slice the steak and place it on the greens. Top with the mushrooms and feta cheese.
Tips for Cooking the Steak: I prefer my steak on the medium-rare side of things, so if you prefer a different temperature you may need to cook it for a longer or shorter time. I recommend using a meat thermometer and taking your steak out of the pan once it’s about five degrees lower than your target doneness as it will continue to cook as it rests.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sear
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 417
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 2961.5mg
- Fat: 30.8g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 21.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 26.8g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
Keywords: steak salad with mushrooms, mushroom salad recipe