These southwest-style stuffed poblano peppers are easy to make thanks to some shortcuts like rotisserie chicken and quick cooking rice. Unlike other stuffed pepper recipes, you don’t have to worry about overcooked or undercooked peppers – precooking the peppers ensures they come out of the oven perfectly crisp-tender.
- 4 large poblano peppers, sliced in half lengthwise with stems, seeds, and ribs removed
- 1 cup minute brown rice (see note)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 11/2 cups store-bought or homemade enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the peppers in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and pop a few holes in the top to allow steam to escape. Microwave the peppers for 5 minutes. Keep them covered in the bowl while you make the filling. (see note)
- Bring the stock, lime juice, salt and pepper to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling add the rice, cover the pan and remove it from the heat. Let the rice stand until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro to the rice and stir to combine.
- Coat the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with 1/2 of the enchilada sauce. Fill each pepper with some filling and place it in the pan. Spoon the rest of the enchilada sauce over the peppers and top with the shredded cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake the peppers for 20 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake for another 10 minutes.
- You can use any kind of rice, but I like minute rice for this recipe because it cuts the cook time down significantly.
- If you like your peppers extra-soft I recommend cooking them three to four minutes longer in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 25.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Cholesterol: 52.2mg
Keywords: stuffed peppers recipe, stuffed poblano peppers, mexican stuffed peppers