Fresh herbs and roasted yellow squash pair with cheese tortellini to make a creamy sauce. I like to simmer the onion and garlic in the goat cheese sauce and then remove them before adding the pasta so the sauce is creamy smooth and subtly flavored.
- 2 cups (226 g) diced yellow squash, cut into 1/4″ (6-mm) pieces
- 2 tsp (10 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp (16 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (235 ml) 2% milk
- 1 (2-oz [57-g]) onion wedge
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 oz (60 g) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large basil leaves, rolled and sliced into thin ribbons
- 9 oz (255 g) fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup (45 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- To make the squash, spread the squash in an even layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle the oil and sprinkle the salt over the top, then stir the squash around to coat it. Roast the squash for 20 minutes, or until it starts to turn golden and caramelized. Remove it from the oven and lower the temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a 2-quart (2-L) saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until it forms a loose paste. Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously, until the milk is combined with the flour and butter and there are no lumps. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the onion, garlic and salt. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust the heat if needed to prevent it from boiling.
- When the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon, remove and discard the onion and garlic. Add the goat cheese and stir until it melts into the sauce, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the black pepper and basil.
- Place the uncooked tortellini and roasted squash in a 1 1/2-quart (1.4-L) baking dish. Pour the sauce over the pasta and squash and stir to coat them. Top the tortellini with the Parmesan cheese, cover the dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until it’s hot and bubbling.
- Calories: 773
- Sugar: 10.8
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 78.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 33.2g
Keywords: summer squash tortellini bake, goat cheese pasta recipe