This simple tomato basil soup for one takes just ten minutes to make and has six simple ingredients. It’s a great easy lunch or light dinner.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5-oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (see note)
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 large basil leaves, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook them in the garlic for a minute, or until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, salt, and stock. Simmer the soup for five minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or transfer it to a stand blender. Add the basil, stir, season with salt to taste, and serve.
The type of canned tomatoes you use makes a big difference in this recipe. I like to use the brand Muir Glen because the tomatoes are sweeter and less acidic.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 993.6mg
- Fat: 11.2g
- Carbohydrates: 32.1g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 6.3g
Keywords: tomato basil soup, tomato soup, soup for one