Bacon-roasted Brussels sprouts with fresh green apples is a simple side dish that’s easy to make. The bacon and sprouts roast together until the Brussels sprouts caramelize and are tender. Toss them with some chopped garlic and diced apples and you get a combination of flavors and textures that is so delicious.
- 24 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced green apples (1/4” cubes)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 pinches each kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet in an even layer. Place the bacon in an even layer on top of the sprouts.
- Roast the sprouts and bacon for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and stir them around and roast them for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until the sprouts are browned in spots and fork-tender.
- Take the sprouts out of the oven. Combine them with the garlic and apples. The apples and garlic will warm up when you mix with them with the hot sprouts and bacon.
- Drizzle the apple cider vinegar over the top and stir it all together. Sprinkle the parsley, salt and pepper over the top and serve. I do all of this while the sprouts are still on the baking sheet or you can transfer them to your serving bowl and add the other ingredients.
Substitutions: You can swap the bacon for the same amount of pancetta. Instead of apple cider vinegar, try balsamic vinegar.
Cooking Tip: The roasting time may vary depending on your oven and how big your sprouts are. Keep an eye on them – you will know they are done when they are fork-tender and caramelized. I like mine with a little bite, but if you prefer yours softer you may need to cook them a little longer.
Storage Tip: Leftovers will keep for a few days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 311.7mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15.9g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 18.5mg
Keywords: roasted brussels sprouts, brussels sprouts with bacon