Tender, savory meatballs simmered for hours in the oven paired with buttery noodles is the ultimate weekend comfort food experience.
For the Meatballs
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Sauce
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 2 large carrots, cut into large pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
For the Buttered Noodles
- 1 (12-ounce) bag wide egg noodles
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
How to Make the Meatballs
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, Parmesan cheese, milk, fennel seed, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and dried breadcrumbs. Add the ground beef and pork to the bowl and mix everything together until it’s combined (I use my hands to do this).
- Take about 2 ounces of the mixture and roll it between your hands to form the meatballs. You end up with about 24 balls.
- In a dutch oven or stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the meatballs in the oil just until they are seared on the outside, which should only take a few minutes on each side. Remove them from the heat and set them aside. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the olive oil from the pan.
How to Make the Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the onion, carrot, and garlic to the same pan you used to brown the meatballs. Add the balsamic vinegar and, using a spatula or wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the whole tomatoes (give them a quick squish with your hands before adding them to the pot) plus all of the liquid in the can. Add the vegetable stock and bring the pot to a simmer. Add the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Add the meatballs to the pot making sure that they are submerged in the liquid. Add the parsley and thyme and cover the pot with a lid (leave it slightly open to allow steam to escape while in the oven).
- Place the pot in the preheated oven and cook the meatballs for an hour and a half.
- Remove the pot from the oven and take out all of the meatballs and set them aside. Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain the liquid and discard the solids. Pour the sauce back into the pot and bring it to a boil over high heat. Once it boils reduce the heat to maintain a strong simmer and reduce the sauce for 20 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Add the meatballs to the sauce and reduce the heat to keep it all at a low simmer while you make the noodles.
How to Make the Buttered Noodles
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a good handful of salt to the water. Add the egg noodles and cook them according to package directions. Drain the noodles, return them to the pot and toss them with the butter and herbs.
- To serve: Top the buttered noodles with 2 to 3 meatballs per serving. Pour any remaining sauce over the top.
Recipe Inspired by Macheesmo
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 485
- Sugar: 7.7g
- Fat: 32.3g
- Carbohydrates: 28.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 21g
Keywords: braised meatballs